Freestyle Ontario Presents CAPTURE 2017, a Photo and Film Contest
1. CONTEST CONCEPT:
‘Capture 2017’ is a photo and film contest for FO athletes. The purpose is to create a contest that motivates athletes to get outside and train throughout the summer! At the beginning of September, athletes will submit their photos and an expert panel of industry photographers and filmmakers will determine the 10-15 winners! The FO community will vote on the winner for the Capture film contest.
Check out more details below.
2. PHOTO CONTEST DETAILS:
The photo contest is an opportunity for athletes to submit their favorite summer training photos. FO will develop, frame, and mat the best 10 photos for the 2017 Fall Awards & Appreciation Fundraiser.
Your Task: Capture photos of what summer training looks like for you! Summer training can be on a glacier skiing, water ramps, trampoline, skateboarding, longboarding, wakeboarding, surfing or even canoeing. Feel free to include landscape, lifestyle, action and portraits in black and white or colour.
3. HOW DO I ENTER THE PHOTO CONTEST?
- Read all Contest Rules and Guidelines
- Sign Capture 2017 FO’s Photo and Film Registration and Release Form
- Email signed form to email@example.com
- Email a maximum of 3 photos to firstname.lastname@example.org from July 1, 2017 to Friday, September 8, 2017. Hashtag #Capture2017FO
4. HOW DO I WIN THE PHOTO CONTEST?
Submit wicked photos, FO has compiled an expert panel of industry photographers and filmmakers to judge the submissions. Our panel will choose 10 photos to develop, frame, and mat for display and auction during the night of our FO Fall Fundraiser and Awards evening!
- Entries will be evaluated based on content, image quality, creativity, uniqueness, relevance to the contest theme and overall visual appeal. A panel of three will judge the entries and all judges’ decisions are final.
- Of the 10 winning photos the judges will select a first, second and third place. These photos will be the prize-winning entries and published in the *new* Freestyle Ontario Magazine with a distribution of +20,000.
5. REMEMBER TO #HASHTAG EVERYTHING
#capture2017FO on Instagram and Facebook and all summer long, sending your best shots to FO!
6. FILM CONTEST DETAILS
Your Task: In a group, shoot, edit and produce a 3-5 minute short film based around summer training. Videos will be judged on originality and creativity, it does not have to be an ‘edit’ focused on your best and newest tricks. Films with a storyline are encouraged!
- Capture 2017 logo to be included in introduction (On FO website Contest page)
- Canadian flag must appear in film at least once or up to 150 times
- Abide by Contest Rules & Guidelines (see #14).
The video contest is an opportunity for you and your friends to work on a video project throughout the summer-- enjoy it!
7. HOW DO I ENTER THE FILM CONTEST?
- Read all Contest Rules and Guidelines
- Load your video to your personal YouTube account.
· We will not accept submissions any other way than via YouTube link. If you don’t have a YouTube account, it's easy and free to set one up at www.youtube.com
· Please set your video’s privacy settings to “Unlisted.” If you make the semi-finals, privacy settings will need to be adjusted for voting. Once your video is created, go to www.freestyleontario.ski and fill out the Registration and Release form and follow instructions.
· The URL for your video on YouTube will be needed. All members of film crew need to accept the contest rules in order to enter. All entries will go before the Capture 2017 judge panel.
8. HOW DO I WIN THE FILM CONTEST?
Make a wicked video that will qualify you as a semi-finalist and then have your friends vote for you online. The first step to winning is to impress our panel of judges. Our group will watch and analyze every entry we receive, and narrow the submissions down to 10 semi-finalists (Judges’ decisions are final). Then, we’ll post the 10 semi-finalists and you and your friends will have the chance to choose your 3 fav videos. From there, the top 3 videos will be screened at FO’s Fall Fundraiser & Awards Event where the winner will be decided by audience applause.
IMPORTANT: We are not looking for daredevil photos or films. Do not go out and film stupid stuff. Do not try tricks that are out of your skill level to emulate professional riders and stunt people who are highly trained to do dangerous things. Do not have skiers jump off dangerous jumps, do not film skiers on dangerous terrain, and do think responsibly in general. We will immediately reject any photos or films depicting irresponsible behavior and these photos and films will be immediately disqualified. This contest is about your ability as a video artist to build a compelling entry. Remember that you are always representing FO.
9. PRIZE DETAILS: To be Announced - they will be amazing!!
10. CONTEST TIMELINE
Contest Starts: July 1, 2017 – Canada 150, eh
Photo Submissions Due: Friday, September 8, 2017 at 11:59.59 p.m. EST
Photo Finalists Announced: September 20, 2013
Film Submission Due: October 6, 2017 at 11:59.59 p.m. EST
Film Semi-Finalists Announced: Monday, October 16, 2017
Viewers’ choice voting for Top 3 Films: Tues, October 17-Tues, October 31, 2017
13. CONTEST ELIGIBILITY
· All participants submitting photos/films must be FO members in good standing.
· Freestyle Canada (FC) insurance does not cover any accident incurred during the making of these films or photos. FC Insurance only covers athletes participating in a sanctioned activity with qualified coaches, with memberships.
· Athletes participating under the age of 18 must obtain parent consent on the Registration and Release Form.
14. CONTEST RULES AND GUIDELINES
All entries to FO’s Capture 2017 Photo and Film contest must adhere to the following guidelines. Not following these guidelines can lead to disqualification.
- All films and photos should predominately feature healthy summer training
- Athletes can choose to enter into both the photo and film contest or just one contest
- You can work as a team with others on the film project
- Film cannot be longer than 5 minutes
- The film can be in colour or black-and-white and may be enhanced with animation, graphics etc.
- It is recommended that all photos be taken in the highest resolution for optimum digital developing quality. We recommend 300 dpi minimum.
· All films must include music credits. Music Credits must include the following;
o Band Name
o Song Name
o Album Name
o Link to website or song on itunes
Here is an example The Avett Brothers-Laundry Room–The Carpenter https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-carpenter/id548881442
- Films and photos must not contain any illegal, lewd, irresponsible, dangerous or loathsome footage
- Your film output settings should be optimized for YouTube.
· At any time, the Capture 2017 committee can disqualify any entrant who does not meet the contest’s eligibility criteria and fails to comply with these rules, attempts to enter the contest in an alternative manner or attempts to disrupt the contest.
- Capture 2017 logo must be noted in the intro of film submission
- Adhere to Contest Criteria
All filmmakers and photographers entering FO’s Capture 2017 Photo and Film Contest must sign a copy of this release form to enter the 2017 Capture Photo and Film Contest. Forms are available online at www.freestyleontario.ski.
** All participants must submit this form to email@example.com.